Saturday, August 24, 2013

Geddes--A Walk Down Memory Lane

When my mom and I first moved to South Dakota, we moved to a little town named Geddes.  It was a small town of about 300 people and is in the south eastern part of the state, along the Missouri River.  It is a beautiful part of the state and an area that Brydon had never been before.  As we plotted our trek back to Texas we noticed we could easily pass through Geddes on our way.  I spent 7 years living in Geddes.  I started kindergarten here and started high school here.  
The town has shrunk since we left but it is still there.
The school I went to was torn down.  All that is left is the gym and the play ground.  I was sad to see the school gone.  My dad was a high school teacher here.  There were 15 people in my class and lots of memories!  Now the gym serves as a community center and students are bussed 40 minutes away to neighboring towns.
This used to be a grocery store and the post office.  The grocery story was on the left side of the building.  It was just a small store.  Hard to believe it is gone now, but they built another small store down the street.
Main street was never too exciting before but is definitely slower than I remember now.  Still no traffic lights or movie theater.  I most definitely had a unique childhood.
This used to be a big hotel in town way back in the day.  When I was in high school a new family moved in and bought the place with the hopes to renovate it.  I became best friends with a girl in the family and actually spent the night here and hung out inside.  Hard to believe I hung out in there now!  Unfortunately the project was too much and was never completed.  But it was a fun surprise to run into my friend during our visit!

The Old Property
Growing up my family owned a mobile home that we moved wherever we went.  During our 2 times living in Geddes, we lived on this beautiful property with a ton of trees, horses, a big red barn, a big granary shed, and an old farm house.  I was excited to see the clump of trees ahead that used to be home.
Sadly the entire property is now a corn field and we couldn't even drive up the driveway.  From the side of the road we found the old barn and granary.
The house used to be parked not far from the windmill but now there are just weeds and corn.
It really is a beautiful place down by the river.  My dad now goes turkey hunting down here each year. South Dakota is known for being so flat but this area has rolling hills and lots of green!
I spent many hours on a horse on trial rides back through this part of the country.
Crossing the dam as we head out of South Dakota into Nebraska.  
It was nice to make it home and start to get ready for school to begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment