Since Brydon was Commissioned in October life has just felt a bit crazy and I keep wondering where the time has gone. Of course there was getting ready to move and the big move and then unpacking and adjusting to the Air Force and life with a real job, but I have also gotten to do a bit of traveling lately. In 6 months Caleb and I have been was able to visit 17 States and traveled over 6349 miles in a our car. Most of these are states we had never been to and so it has been quite an adventure. Plus it is truly a miracle that our Mercury Sable has survived these journeys since it frequently left us stranded in Philadelphia. I am most grateful it did not leave me stranded in the middle of New Mexico. There is not even road kill there to keep you company. I loved getting to see more of the United States and was fascinated by how diverse and beautiful our country truly is. It has been a huge blessing to get to travel the last few months.
Philadelphia to Abilene, TX: 1663 miles and 7 States plus the District of Columbia
My journey began with the 3 day drive from Philadelphia to Abilene, TX. I was fortunate to have my mother's help for most of this trip, since Brydon was in training. It was a hard drive and I never used the cruise control once the whole trip. But it was beautiful. The Appalachians are amazing!
Abilene, TX to Farmington, UT: Round trip 2190 miles and 4 states
While Brydon was again at training, I had the opportunity to travel to Farmington, UT for the funeral of my birth father's wife. I am so grateful I was able to go and it was a beautiful experience. The drive was a lot of fun and Caleb and I had fun adventuring on our own. New Mexico is truly an enchanted land but very intimidating. There is truly NOTHING for miles! No road kill, no nothing! But it was a beautiful drive with the desert of New Mexico and Moab, Utah.
Abilene, TX to Dayton, OH: 1169 miles and 6 States
We were excited for the chance to visit Brydon at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, since this is where Brydon's dad was stationed and where he went to High School. So we decided to go to Ohio for a week and bring Brydon home from this training. This drive was so different from the drive to Utah. Everything was so green and I saw the most beautiful lush grass. The farmland was so gorgeous and seeing the St. Louis arch was really cool. The only downer was that gas was the most expensive in Indiana at $4.25 a gallon.
Dayton, OH to Nauvoo, IL: 439 miles and 3 states
After picking up Brydon, we decided to take a detour to Nauvoo, IL and visit one of Brydon's favorite places. I had never been there and was so excited to go. We got to meet my parents there and it was such a great trip. The drive was simple and Nauvoo was everything I had hoped for.
Nauvoo, IL to Abilene, TX: 903 miles and 5 states
When it was finally time to go home, it was just Brydon and I. Caleb got to go with my parents back to South Dakota to spend time with the grandparents so we got a long drive by ourselves. It was nice to have the time together and we traveled through some really interesting back roads in Missouri and got to visit some quaint towns. But of course there is no place like home and it was so nice to get daddy back!
It's exciting to think of the fun new adventures ahead of us. Hopefully before Caleb starts schools, we will get a chance to visit San Antonio, TX and go to Sea World, visit Brydon's grandparents who are serving a mission in Louisiana, and visit family in South Dakota. Don't know if it will happen but it is always fun to dream :) And then we can add a few more states to the list!





I'm so glad you got to go on so many trips! That sounds like so much fun!! Personally, I LOVE San Antonio. It is beautiful, and I love the Alamo. Be sure you watch the movie "The Alamo" before you go!
ReplyDelete