Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave

This 4th of July felt just a little more special than other years. This year we were actually members of the Armed Forces and I was couldn't help but feel a bit more patriotic and a bit more grateful for the freedoms we have in the United States. Brydon has not deployed yet but we have spent a lot of time apart this year, and I have gotten a taste of what it will be like when he does deploy. It is a big sacrifice. Being in the Air Force also means that we know many people who are currently serving or have just served time in support of the war efforts. We recently said good bye to the Major in Brydon's office. He will be gone for 9 months as he journeys to Afghanistan to mentor government public health officials there. One of my primary counselors will be leaving in a month to travel to Korea for a year without her family. And I have friends who have had babies while their husbands were gone or cared for 4-5 children on their own for 6-9 months. Every day I meet some amazing people who make me so proud to be in the Air Force.

Right now our Uncle Sam is currently deployed for 6 months and has had to leave my sister-in-law and 2 children on their own in a foreign country. We love Uncle Sam and are so lucky to have him be a part of our family. We are so proud of him and all that he does. We are grateful for the sacrifice their family is making on behalf of our country.  We pray for him and wish him safe keeping!  We love you Uncle Sam!

Although we didn't plan on joining the Air Force, we are honored to be a part of such a great organization.  Brydon is an amazing officer and we are so proud of him.  It looks like next year, we will have the chance to send Brydon off to support the war efforts.  It will be a long 9 months and I don't look forward to the time apart, but I do know that he will do a lot of good while he is gone.  And I know it will be our turn to sacrifice, just like the families we are surrounded by. I also know that we will be taken care.  I have yet to mow the lawn or worry about anything while Brydon has been away.  Everyday I count my blessings that we were stationed at such an amazing base with great neighbors and a wonderful ward family.

Never forget that we are enjoy the freedoms we do, because of the Brave Families and Men and Women who sacrifice everyday.  I am so proud to be an American and an Air Force Wife!!

1 comment: