At Dyess we house 2 types of Airplane groups. The 7th Bomb Wing is in charge of the B-1 and the 317th Airlift is in charge of the C-130. The 317th was kind enough to host a Spouses Day for all spouses on our base that would allow us to visit their shops and even get to ride in a C-130! It was a great day and the 317th did an amazing job.
They began the day by walking us through what a day is like for the pilots and crew of a C-130 on a deployment. C-130 crews can deploy about every 4 months for 4 months at a time. They are constantly deploying and their families sacrifice a lot. These planes are Cargo planes and so are used to transport troops and cargo to the field. They are being heavily used in the fighting in Afghanistan to haul equipment to eliminate damage from road side bombs and to get supplies to very hard to reach places. They are also being used in Iraq to carry out our troops and equipment as we scale down. We got to see pictures of them hauling troops, delivering packages to Marines through parachute parcels in remote locations, evacuating wounded soldiers, and landing in hot zones on nothing but a short sand road. One of their motto's is that they "Deliver Hope". What heroic things our soldiers do every day!!
My group began our tour by visiting a B-1 and talking to the pilots. We were able to go into the cockpit and sit in the chairs. This plane goes over 1000 miles an hour and is pretty much just full of bombs. I believe it carries more fire power than any other plane. It has room for 4 people and a small little "toilet" (or just whole in a board with a sheet to hang in front of you). The cockpit is a tight squeeze and I can't imagine sitting in these chairs for 5+ hours at a time. They are a huge asset in the current wars and truly are amazing aircraft. The B-1 is known as one of the "sexy" planes of the Air Force. It was fun to actually see the inside for the first time. Caleb loves to watch these guys fly around the base!
Next we got to visit one of the maintenance shops for the C-130. This building is where they pretty much take apart the whole aircraft, inspect everything, and then put it back together. This is done repeatedly after a certain number of flights. Each aircraft is assigned a crew and you are in charge of everything for that plane. These crews deploy with their planes and became very familiar with how their plan works. These planes were built in the 1970's and so need lots of tender loving care to fly as much as they do. Maintenance crew often work miracles to get these babies to fly in order to complete the mission.
We were then led into the briefing room to begin the briefing for our C-130 flight. It was interesting to hear all the things they consider when going out on a mission.
During the briefing, we were given one of these envelopes and a set of ear plugs. We were instructed to not use the envelope but to use the plastic bag inside (apparently that mistake has been made). I love the instructions on the envelope! It didn't help me feel confident that I wouldn't get sick on this flight.
Heading out onto the Flight Line! We first got to wander through a C-130 before boarding our actual flight.
I got to fly with some great friends who were all in my group! It was so nice to have such fabulous women to hang out with! We are inside the Cargo hold.
In the Pilot's seat!
Our Plane!!! I chose to ride in a C-130J model, which is the newest C-130 plane and was delivered to our base a few months ago. I figured I might as well check out the new stuff.
The C-130H Model sitting on the runway.
Loading up!! Little did we know what we were really in for!
Hanging on as we ascend. It was really loud and you can't see out so take off was a bit shocking.
We got to get up and look out the windows. It was bumpy but not too bad and really neat to see outside.
I love this picture!! That is our shadow in the middle of nowhere Texas.
A picture of our pilots that my friend took, because at this point I was SICK! It hit me suddenly and I sat quietly with my eyes closed and worked on breathing for the rest of the flight. By the end, quite a few woman had gotten sick. I did meet my goal of not throwing up but only because my stomach was empty. My body did not enjoy that ride in the end but I did it!! I once in a lifetime experience!
After lunch we got to visit the safety shops. These folks work on all the equipment that will save your life in case of an emergency. So we got to try on those fabulous emergency life vests found in all aircraft. It was pretty neat to actually pull that cord and have the vest inflate. It is quite the pop and not that easy to put on honestly.
Emergency rafts with covers.
After trying out Night Vision Goggles (sorry no picture of that). We got to put these wonderful bags over our heads. This is the emergency oxygen system they use in the C-130's. Obviously gas masks will not be able to fall from the compartments above our heads like in a commercial flight so get to wear these. You take them out of a little canvas bag, pull a cord to start the air flow and then put the bag over your head. It was actually difficult to put that thing over my head and wear a bag. They did tell us that you know when your air has run out and you need a new bag, when the bag starts collapsing around your head. NICE!
So now I have 2 very jealous boys that I got to be the first in the family to fly in a C-130 and see the inside of a B-1. I am so proud to part of such an amazing organization of people who do things not just everyone does. I am most definitely a proud spouse a United States Airman!





That looks like so much fun!!
ReplyDeleteHow AWESOME was that?!! How fun! You're looking great Jennifer and I'm so thankful you've made friends to enjoy this journey with! Thanks for bloggin - I don't get to peek in as often as I'd like but it is so nice to see you are doing well.
ReplyDelete