Caleb had just turned 3 when we were going through our second round of in-vitro. It was a rough time for our family. Brydon was trying to interview for Medical School and my body didn't handle the intense fertility treatments well. We didn't want to involve Caleb in the in-vitro process but because of everything that was going on, he was. We also had appointments every other day to the doctors and Brydon had to administer up to 4 shots daily on me, and so he eventually learned we were trying to have a baby and were to trying answer his sweet prayers. During that time, we had discussed that babies were gifts from our Heavenly Father and lived in heaven before they came to us. When both rounds of in-vitro failed, we were devastated and informed Caleb that we were not able to have a baby. A few days later I was sitting down to get some work done and Caleb walked up to me with one of his play cell phones.
Caleb: "Mom, it's for you."
Mom: "Hello! Hi how are you?"
Caleb: "NO, Mom you have to yell that them!"
Mom: "Why do I need to do that?"
Caleb: "Because it's Jesus and you need to yell at him."
Mom: "Why do I need to yell at Jesus? I don't want to yell at Jesus."
Caleb: "Because Jesus has our babies in heaven and he won't let us have them! I am mad at Him."
Mom: (Cries and gives him a hug)
Caleb refused to pray for 2 weeks after that. He wouldn't pray for anything. We tried to be patient and understanding and healed together as a family. We did not have the heart to pray for a baby. Finally when he began to pray again, we were shocked to hear. "Heavenly Father, bless us with a baby.". When we asked him why he was praying for a baby again, he said "Because I STILL want a baby!". That was one of those moments, when a 3 year old displays far more faith and understanding then I knew possible. When Christ commanded us to "become as little children", I watch my son's daily faith and know why He said that.
Now for the humorous side of my son. One day while riding in the car, Caleb randomly asked, "Who is going to be at the funeral when the last person dies?". To that his parents mumbled a bit about how that really isn't anything to worry about and we didn't know. After pondering for a few minutes, he declared, "I think angels and Jesus will be at the funeral. Don't you think so? I want to be the last person to die. I think I really will be! Really!"
So if you have ever pondered who will be attending the funeral of the last person to die on Earth, now you know!!
Happy May!
Oh, that sweet boy! Brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDelete