Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Food Traditions

For Easter, we have some random food traditions.  We even learned a new one this year.
We have Jell-o jiggler egg molds that I use every year to make these fun jigglers.  Caleb doesn't even really like Jell-o but they are fun to make.  When I was younger we would use plastic eggs to make these.  The molds most definitely make it easier.
When I was little, my grandmother would make large Easter Bunny rice krispy treats.  I don't remember what she used for the mold but I just remember how neat the big Easter Bunny was.  Three years ago, I was so excited when I found a mold of an Easter Bunny that would work to do the same thing.
So know we can make our own big Easter Bunny treats.  I love them and it is fun to get to do something I remember from when I was little.

This year we were introduced to Resurrection Rolls.  These are a great and easy idea and a wonderful way to help children think about the Resurrection. 
You start off with a large marshmallow.  This symbolizes Christ's body.  Then you roll the marshmallow in butter to symbolize the oils He was anointed in.  Then roll the marshmallow in cinnamon and sugar to represent the spices that were place on His body.
Roll the now cinnamon marshmallow in a crescent roll to symbolize the cloth Christ was wrapped in.
They will look like this.  Now place them in the "tomb" (oven) for 13 minutes (3 days) and bake.
The marshmallow (Christ's body) is now gone because He has Risen! 

They taste delicious and were fun to make.  I love all the great ideas everyone shares so we can do these fun new things with our kiddos!

What fun Easter traditions does your family have?  I love picking up fun new ideas.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!! We had such a time!!! I LOVED the huge bunny rice krispy treats. I've been eating it all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute ideas! We have made those "Resurrection treats" as well, but we called them vanishing breakfast rolls (because the marshmallow vanishes). I think I'll try it next year though, good idea!

    ReplyDelete