Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Church Service Blessings


So I have debated a little bit about whether or not to write this post, but since I do use it to document our life and church is a big BIG part of our life, I am.  As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe everyone plays a part in the function of our local church or Ward.  No one is paid (including the Bishop), all service is voluntary, and we believe that callings are inspired by God.  You don't aspire to high ranking or leadership callings and all callings are a necessary part of making the church function correctly.  They do however play a big role in helping you stretch and grow and become a big part of your life.  Brydon and I have had an array of callings.  Some meant we met with youth early every morning for seminary (scripture study), I led a Literacy class in our home twice a week, Brydon has been a secretary for different organizations, and we both have taught classes multiple times.  Each calling has hard things about it but in the end you come to love the people you serve and love the calling you have been asked to do. 

One of Brydon's favorite callings was in Philadelphia.  Right when he was graduating, Brydon was asked to serve in the Bishopric (our clergy).  He was a councilor to the Bishop.  He learned so much and loved the men he got to work with.  It was a calling where you really saw him grow and use many of his great leadership skills.  He was in that calling for only a little over 4 months before he was sent off to Officer Training School.  It was hard to say good-bye. 
Philadelphia 1st Ward Bishopric, October 2010
Bro. Chin, Bishop McBride, Bro. Manning
When we moved to Texas, I was immediately put in as the Primary President.  I am in charge of all 18 month - 12 year old children, and help organize the Sunday School classes they go to and activities we support such as Cub Scouts.  It is a very humbling, busy position and I am just grateful I have so many amazing people I get to work with and help me.  Brydon was asked to teach some youth classes for a while and then 4 months ago got asked to serve in the one calling he NEVER wanted!  He was asked to work with the 12-13 year old boys and be an Assistant Scout Master.  He really had no desire to ever work in the Boys Scout Program and knew this was a calling that required a lot of work.  But surprisingly (well not that surprisingly) he threw himself into the work.  The Scout program had been struggling a bit and with the hard work of the Scout Master and Brydon, they have worked to create a TERRIFIC Scout program.  He has spent so much time scrounging for camping gear (because we had none), getting the boys excited about Scouts, educating parents, and organizing camp outs, merit badge classes, and a High Adventure.  He developed such a love for the program, the boys, and the men he got to work with.  They truly began to see miracles. 
Troop 250!  Whoot Whoot!
Two Awesome Scout Leaders!
All their hard work has started paying off, and now I don't think we could ever separate them.
Love you Bryan, even if you text my husband more than I do now :)

Proof that Miracles really do still happen. 
Our boys have most definitely not always felt the love they are now showing.  They sure are great kids!!
On Sunday, Brydon was asked to be in the Bishopric again as a councilor to the Bishop.  I have watched him cry and struggle to let go as he knows that he will not be an Assistant Scout Master right now.  It has been really hard for him to let go of his Scouting calling.  He really came to love the amazing things happening in that program.  I know he will be a great asset to the Bishop and will be a wonderful advocate for the youth of our ward.  I am grateful to be married to such a humble and worthy man who can hold such callings.  Life is going to be continue to be quite busy with church, but we are grateful for the chance to serve.  We have truly witnessed amazing blessings as we have served.  The Lord has most definitely given us more in return than we have given. 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. You will both do well as always. Stretching and growing is often painful. It seems like once we learn to really love a calling the opportunity ?? comes to move on so we can stretch and grow some more.

    Love you,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Brydon. It shows how dedicated you are to turn around a group of boys that can be challenging! We will be praying for your continued success!

    Congrats and many blessings,
    The Novacks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just think of all the blessings in store for you guys now! :)

    ReplyDelete