I have always admired the families that document their children's cute phrases and milestones. That is something I have not been very good at. I always wanted to document the cute things I heard when teaching Kindergarten but never did. So this is my attempt at documenting those funny and cute insights my son gives us into his little world. Kids really do say the cutest things and so hopefully I can keep up with documenting a few of our family's little moments.
After spending some time after school at a friend's house, it was time to go home. Caleb began to cry in the car that he didn't want to go home because he was all alone. He began to get very, very upset crying that he will always be alone and that we will never get a baby, and he will always be alone. Then he said, "Mom, I don't even know what to do with a baby!" He then told me that they were little and that a baby couldn't even play with him anyways. It took a while to calm him down. (Poor guy was first sad he was an only child, and then realized that a baby may not be able to a friend for a while.)
One evening we were watching a Hallmark Christian movie set back in the day of buggies and midwives. A young female doctor went to help a mother in labor. When she arrived, she was told the baby as stuck and the mother was having trouble. The mother was obviously in labor and in pain. Caleb looked up at me, "Mom, is that what is was like when I was born?"
Me: "Yes, you did get stuck and yes it hurt."
Caleb took a few seconds to take in the scene and then said, "I never, ever, ever want to be a GIRL!"
Driving home one evening, Caleb began to ask questions about how a doctor helps a dog. (He really wants to be a veterinarian). He then began to get upset because he didn't know how to take care of animals, and asked me, "What will happen if I don't learn how to take care of animals?"
Me: "You will learn how to do it eventually. Don't worry about it. It will be ok."
Caleb: "But what if I I try and try and don't learn how?"
Me: "Sweetie, you have a lot a of schooling before that and by that time you will know what to do. First you have to get through Kindergarten then High School and College. It will be ok."
Caleb: "But mom what if I try and try and try but never learn how to do it? I don't think I will ever know what to do. What will happen then?"
Me: (Sigh) "Well if you never learn then I guess you will have to learn how to do something else."
Caleb: (Crying) "But that is what I want to be! I don't want to do something else!"
This week, we are watching a little 15 month old while her parents are on a cruise. After changing her diaper, I asked Caleb if he would help me out and take the diaper to the garbage.
Caleb: (very matter of factly) "No mom she is your responsibility. When I have my own baby, I will do that." (referring to a baby brother or sister)
Driving to school one morning, Caleb was talking about the name of one of his friends.
Caleb: "Mom my friend Phoenix begins with the letter "P" but it sounds like an "F"."
Me: "Yes, "Ph" makes the "F" sound."
Caleb: "Yep otherwise he would be, Penix" (said with a 5 year old accent that makes the "x" sound pretty much sound like an "s")
Me: "Mmmm...Yes that is true." (In my mind I am hoping that that doesn't come up at school.)
I love 5 year olds! They are learning so much and tell you so much without any shame. You get some fun surprises and interesting parenting moments! Hopefully I will be better at writing them down.
I always admire it too! Way to go you! That Caleb is going to keep you busy writing things down for a long time to come, I'd expect. :)
ReplyDelete