Sunday, August 22, 2010

Abilene, Texas.......Here We Come!

Right before we left on our trip to South Dakota, Brydon got some good news! He got a job! We received a call from the Air Force and they offered Brydon a position as an Officer of Public Health. We have been stationed in Abilene, TX for our first post. We are really excited for this opportunity and Brydon is looking forward to the training and benefits the military offers. The only hang up is that he won't start officer training until March 8th, and right now that feels like an eternity. So we are in the midst of figuring out what to do until March, but happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Abilene should be a great new place to live but it is about as opposite as you can get from Philadelphia.

So Abilene is located pretty close to the center and heart of Texas. It is 3 hours west of Dallas. It is a city of about 120,000 people.


When we first googled housing in Abilene we found a gem of a home very close to this one. Yep a great trailer home in literally the middle of nowhere. I don't think we will be feeling overly castrophobic in Abilene.


We will definitely miss the beautiful folage here in Philadelphia. It looks a bit dry and brown in Abilene and I will sure miss the vivid green summer and colorful falls.


I don't think we will have quite the same skyline. I will miss the metropolitan area but since the biggest town I ever grew up in was only 10,000 people, I think Abilene will be plenty big.


We will definitely not miss a beauty like this. This great rental property not far from out apartment is renting for $850 a month with no utilities included and a high crime rate included.


However we are really looking forward to this. This beautiful 3br 2b home is $25 less a month than we are paying for out 2br 1b, 820 sq.ft. apartment. Doesn't it look dreamy!!!


And check out the beautiful fenced in backyard! Yeah I think we will survive just fine in Abilene. Now to just figure out how to survive 8 months of limbo!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Yeah for the new job!! Congrats! The house is beautiful! I know a guy in the Air Force living in TX - so if you meet the Green family you can say hi for me. You sure are having a wonderful adventure in life - - seeing so many lovely and beautiful states across the U.S.! Keep us posted what the next 8 months bring, I'm sure other doors will open too as we've seen the Lord carry you through the challenges up to this point! WHEW! You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Wishing you the best on your move. Your new home looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you guys. And I love the house! I hope we get a house that beautiful, but we won't be able to start looking until we know where we are going. That will happen sometime in March. I definitely know how the limbo feeling is.

    ReplyDelete