Friday, February 12, 2010

The Blessings of Service



So over the past month, Brydon and I have been struggling with being ultra-positive about our life. It seems like everytime we are about to overcome one obstacle, we get thrown a bigger and harder obstacle. Life just hasn't felt very easy or all that fun. And of course as our trials seemed to mount, we were asked to serve more in the church. Brydon was gone often to help with moves or give blessings or rearrange Hometeaching and I was asked to take on one more calling. My literacy class has been a very time consuming calling on its own and quite frankly we were overwhelmed...and didn't handle it all well. We became GRIPING PROS! But one Saturday morning, we had a nice reminder of the blessings of service.

That morning Caleb woke up and began getting dressed right way. He put on his white button shirt, black slacks, dress shoes, and a tie (all by himself). He informed us that he needed to go to church and had to give someone a blessing. He was adamant that we needed to go and that he wanted to give a blessing just like daddy. He told us he had to put on his church clothes because that is what you wear to give blessings. We felt very blessed that Caleb had seen his daddy serve so much that he wanted to serve too, and he even knew that when daddy served he worn the "uniform of the priesthood" or shirt and tie:) It made me realize that although it is not always easy to serve it is well worth it. Even if it is only to show our children where our priorities lie.

Later that week as I was teaching the Literacy class I watched Caleb teach my students all the letters of the alphabets and the sounds they make. Then he would help them find sight words in a poster I was using. I was amazed by his love of learning and how much he has learned between preschool and the Literacy class we host in our home.

I am so grateful for the opportunities the Lord gives us to serve that allow us to stretch and grow. Now we are working on serving more fully and griping a whole lot less.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are good examples. Thank you for sharing this. I think I would get feeling overwhelmed with just ONE more calling.

    ReplyDelete