Thursday, March 14, 2013

Trying Out Basketball


In the spring, we were introduced to Upward Sports through soccer.  We loved Upward and the focus that this organization has on sportsmanship and Christian values.  So when Caleb asked to play basketball this winter, we decided to give Upward basketball a try.  We still love Upward and it was a good experience but very different than soccer. 
Caleb was put on the 1st and 2nd grade boys team.  It was a new experience to have my son be one of the smallest and youngest on a very male dominant team.  Basketball turned out to be a learning experience for our entire family.
I would describe our family as an athletic family.  We love sports and being outside and both Brydon and I played sports during high school.  However, we don't watch any sports on television and don't follow any sports teams.  I don't know if Caleb has ever even seen a basketball game.  Both Brydon and I enjoy the sportsmanship lessons and exercise habits that sports can instill but there are a lot of things about competitive sports we don't like.  We don't like the push to win at any cost, the male "show-off" mentality, the push to do your best and sacrifice your team, and the push to be an aggressive male.  So we often find ourselves in a love hate relationship with team competitive sports.  
We ended up up having a love/hate relationship with Basketball.
Caleb did have a kind coach and they were a cute group of boys.  Because basketball was so new, Caleb spent the first few practices watching and was a bit timid but he started to get into more.  However he just couldn't understand why the boys kept fighting over the ball and running into each other and not following all the rules.  
Due to a funeral and illness, Caleb missed the first two basketball games, so his first game was game 3.  We were excited because Grandma Manning got to come watch his game.  She even got him a pair of Air Jordan's that matched his cute uniform, and he was excited to play but a bit nervous.  
Nervous but ready to try!
 
Caleb's first game was a bit difficult.  He had never seen a basketball game before, practices had only been half court, and all the particulars of the game were not very clear.  And unfortunately Caleb was aware enough to know that he was a bit confused. 
(Can I just say heart breaking for Mom!)
Caleb is quite the rule follower when it comes to school and sports.  He will do pretty much exactly what he is told in these situations.  This was a bit problematic in basketball.  First the team played on the same court they practiced on.  Only in practice, the team had to play half court and the rule was that they could not cross the half court line.  Caleb had a hard time letting go of this rule during the full court game.  The boy did not want to cross that line!
It was a tough first game but we made it through.  We were so proud of him for getting through that game.  The rest of the games got better but Caleb was pretty nervous and never really loved it.  His basketball skills improved but he was unfortunately on a team of boys that never passed the ball and didn't work as a team.  Caleb always passed the ball and only got to shoot a basket once the whole season.  He really struggled with his team not playing as a team and working together.  
 
It is so hard as a Mom to watch your son not be the best at something and really struggle doing it.  It was so hard to watch him struggle!  But I was so proud of him for working hard.  He tried his best every game, he was always a team player and passed the ball, and never gave up.  I have to admit that in the end, I was more proud to have a kind, hard working, team player then the All-Star basketball player. 

We made it to the FINAL GAME!!
 
For the last quarter of the final game, they had the parents play against the kids.  It was a silly game, but the boys sure had fun.  Unfortunately, Brydon had to work that Saturday and so missed the entire last game.  I was not brave enough to be the only Mom to play basketball.
Caleb's 1st Grade teacher was kind enough to come to his game.  She is so sweet!
Caleb's Coaches
I love that all the Upward coaches are really great and never push the kids too hard.
Celebrating the final game with some ice-cream.
I can't tell you how proud I am of him for making it through the season.  He never came to love basketball, was not the star player, didn't score a basketball, but he did it.  
I have to admit that watching him be his own wonderful self, sure made me proud.  
One of those moments that you look at your son, and can say
"He is turning out to be the kind of man I always hoped he would be."

So we will see if we try basketball again for a while.

1 comment:

  1. We haven't done basketball with our boys yet. I think we will soon, but it makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete