Saturday, December 29, 2012

Getting Ready for Christmas

Christmas preparations were a bit chaotic this year but we do like to go all out for Christmas!  We love Christmas and it wouldn't be complete without our red and silver decorations, our Christmas village, and homemade gifts. 
Cooper being festive!
Our first Christmas tree was a bit beat up in all the moves, so last year after Christmas we were able to find this new tree and it is much bigger.  We ended up having to pick out some new red and silver tinsel and just a few hundred more lights.  There was quite the red glow in our house!
We continued our new Elf on the Shelf tradition.  After getting some fun ideas from Pinterest our Elf was a bit more exciting.  I just couldn't have him do all the naughty stuff but he did have more fun.
 We enjoy seeing the local Christmas lights.  One of our favorite places has this super cute phone booth where the children can call Santa's workshop.  Caleb loves this place.  He doesn't believe the Santas in the stores are real so he loves to actually call the North Pole so he can really tell Santa what he wants.  
For some strange reason I like to make homemade Christmas gifts for our families.  I spend all year (or the year before) planning on what to make people and what would fit each person best.  I am not sure they turn out great but it is what they get and I think it just really gives me an excuse to sew and make all the fun things I want to do
I like getting the chance to make cute girly gifts for my nieces.  It allows me the chance to have tulle and flowers in the house.  I thought it was fun to design this girly bag for my 4 year old niece.  I think it turned out pretty well especially since it is made from a placemat!

I found this great tutorial (on Pinterest of course) on how to make this car cosy.  I got to make one for 2 of my nephews.  You can check out this great tutorial here. 
A super creative friend has a blog that shared the idea behind these Holiday blocks.  As it turns out, Happy Halloween and Merry Christmas have the same number of letters so one side the blocks says Happy Halloween and then you turn them over and they say Merry Christmas.  Quite ingenious!  Check out my friends blogs at Family Ever After.
I put my Cricut to even more use making these decorative plates and a couple tiles.  I've enjoyed finding meaningful quotes lately and have all kinds of plans for quotes around the house if I ever get to that.

I am sad that I totally spaced taking a picture of my niece's sparkly tutu and the new quiet book I made my sister in law.  I did learn that glitter on tulle does not like to stay on the tulle, my poor sister in law is probably just loving all the glitter in her house.  This year I found a cute page with a Mr./Mrs. Potato Head that you dress up with fun eyes and shoes, a pie with crust to practice weaving, and a tic-tac-toe game to add to Caleb's and my other sister in law's book.  Caleb's isn't quite done yet but hopefully I will get to pull out the sewing machine again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love quiet books but haven't made one in a really long time (I made one for a Laurel project back in the day!)! I should totally make one for my littles, they would love it! I'd love some more of your ideas on pages!

    ReplyDelete