I have never considered myself crafty and I still really don't. I am good at stealing other people's good and easy ideas but admitting I am "crafty" is still difficult. I do "Projects". Since Caleb started school I decided to do a few more projects. They have possibly consumed large amounts of my time. But I think it is worth it, because most of them are gifts and there is nothing I like more than making gifts. I started making gifts the year Caleb was born and I was on unpaid maternity leave while Brydon tried to squeeze in some hours as a waiter at Red Lobster. During Brydon's time getting a Master's Degree, our financial situation was only worse so the tradition stuck. Now I just like it so much and have a list of all sorts of stuff to do that our families are just stuck with them until I run out of ideas I guess.
So here is proof that I am not very crafty! ;-)
Now having 2 nieces allows me the opportunity to make any cute girly stuff I want to.
I was really excited to make my first rag quilt. I love them and think they are so cute. So I was so excited when my sister had a baby boy and said she liked them too!
I tried making burp clothes like my mother-in-law. They didn't turn out as well as hers but they were fun and baby fabrics are just so cute.
Of course my biggest project was our Halloween Costumes. It was fun to make a corset and hats, and things I never even knew I could make. This year I already know what we are going to be so I can start earlier and make the experience a little less stressful.
I have always wanted to hang a wreath on the door. So I tried making this Fall Wreath. I personally don't like how it turned out. I wish I had gotten a fuller wreath to begin with and that may have helped. But the rolled and fabric flowers are cute and easy to make. The wreath total cost me $2 so I can't complain there.
For our family pictures I wanted a fun scarf but they are a bit spendy. I found a tutorial to make this scarf and it ended up costing me $3. I really like it and love the frilliness!
Last Christmas I made Caleb and my sister-in-law a quiet book I learned how to make at http://quietbook.blogspot.com/ So this year I just added a couple more pages to the book. I designed the Cars page since Caleb loves that movie so much. I was happy with how it turned out.
I tried making hooded towels and wash cloth puppets. I really like making the towels and think I found an easy new baby shower gift.
For my niece, I made a tutu. Caleb was kind enough to model it for me so we could make sure it would fit. Got to love easy girly stuff! Poor boy is a good sport!
My nephew got a cape. I made one of these for Caleb a couple of years ago and it was a hit. I was happy to hear my nephew was also excited to become a Super Hero!
I got to make another ruffle apron. I do love them!
I designed this apron for my brother who will be getting ready to leave on a mission soon. I dreamed up the weird idea and was really happy with how it turned out. The bottom has a double pocket in black for the "pants" and then I just added the tie and name badge.
Caleb LOVES soft things and has always been into silky textures. He loved shirt tags as a toddler if they had a satin feel to them. He often chooses his clothes by how soft they feel and is always feeling things. When I found out about minky blankets with satin, I knew I had to make one for Caleb. I found nice soft brown minky and blue satin and my friend helped me embroider his name in it. It was a great surprise Christmas morning. It was fun to sew a blanket and he loves it. For my brother I made a red minky with black satin. Caleb loved the red minky so much that he made snow angels on it and almost didn't let me mail it off.
I made this temple block on a Super Saturday for Caleb. I really like them and am always amazed at the things Mod Podge can do. That stuff is amazing!
I made 3 of these boards at the Super Saturday. Brydon really wanted one in his office and they made good gifts as well. I also made the magnets with my mom. It is fun to make custom magnets and super easy.
Caleb actually helped me paint boards at the Super Saturday. When I looked over at his painting, I discovered this gem. We couldn't paint over it so we had him sign it and it is now on the back of Brydon's board. So cute!
For Christmas I made this wreath. It obviously fits our red and silver theme and only cost $12. I can't decide if I should add more to it next year or not, but I really liked it especially since Christmas wreathes are so expensive.
Right after I got my CriCut I had to try it out and so I made this plaque out of vinyl. I am pretty excited about all the future possibilities!
Well now it is a new year and my list of projects for this year is all set and I can't wait to get started!
Nope I AM NOT CRAFTY! I SWEAR!


I can't believe you think you're not crafty!! Maybe creative is a better word. You always seem to have a vision for how you want things to turn out. That's way more than crafty!
ReplyDeleteSeeing Caleb in the tutu reminded me of some of the best memories my husband has of his mother. As a child, she worked as a seamstress and made countless wedding gowns. My poor husband and his brothers were forced to try on the gowns so she could check hems and how the fabric was hanging. It was embarrassing for him at the time, but is now a precious memory of his late mother.
ReplyDeleteI recognize lots of these gifts! We love every single one of them. Thank you so much!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful scarf. I love the Christmas wreath!
ReplyDelete