Every once in a while you get the chance to have one of those life changing experiences that you will never forget. The Summer of 2001, I was able to have one of those experiences. For 2 months, I attended the BYU-Jerusalem Center in Jerusalem, Israel. I was able to study the Old Testament, New Testament, Jewish Traditions, Muslim Traditions, and the History of the Country. It was an amazing experience! We visited Biblical sites including: The Red Sea, Mt. Sinai, Jericho, Valley of Elah, Galilee, Nazareth, Bethlehem, and multiple sites within Old City Jerusalem. The adventures were endless. We spent 1 week in huts on the shores of the Galilee, climbed Mt. Sinai at 1 in the morning to watch the sunrise, snorkeled in the Red Sea, visited the country of Jordan, and spent 2 weeks touring the Pyramids, tombs, and historical sites of Egypt. Jerusalem is rich with culture, history, tragedy, and of course was an amazing place to study the life our Savior Jesus Christ. It is most definitely one of my top life experiences!
During my time there, I was able to collect many great souvenirs that we cherish in our home. However, when I came home I discovered a painting by Greg Olsen that I really wanted. It is titled "O Jerusalem" and is a beautiful painting of Christ on the Mt. of Olives overlooking the city of Jerusalem. I have a picture of me sitting on the Mt. of Olives with Jerusalem in the background and so the painting was very meaningful. Brydon knew I really wanted this painting but we could never justify the cost. I didn't want a small version. I wanted a large mantel size painting and I was ok waiting until we got just what I wanted.
![]() |
| Me on the Mt. of Olives Summer of 2001 |
This Christmas, we received an extra special gift. My parents gave us the painting! It is so beautiful and is the 15th Anniversary Edition. It is exactly what I wanted and we were so excited to hang it up.
So now I have an amazing picture of a trip that was truly a life changing experience and my favorite picture of our Savior Jesus Christ. Most definitely a gift that will be cherished forever.
| "O Jerusalem" by Greg Olsen |
Thanks Mom & Dad!!!

That is pretty amazing! I would love to visit the Holy Land. What a beautiful gift!
ReplyDelete