Sunday, April 10, 2011

The "Green Thumb" Experiment

If you know me at all, then you know that plants and I really don't get along very well. I pretty much kill plants. So any gardening and plant care has fallen on Brydon, who enjoys it and does not kill plants. But here I am in Texas and it is 90 degrees outside with a beautiful yard and no husband for pretty much the whole spring/summer. So for entertainment and sanity and for fun, I have decided to see if I can indeed plant a garden and flowers and actually keep them alive. So for so good!!!
I am trying my hand at "Suburban Gardening" or whatever you want to call it. We are allowed to dig up our yard to plant a garden if we want to, but when we move it must be restored to its orginal condition. So I am opting to not tear up my lawn so I have to replace it in a year or so. Instead I am using 5 gallon buckets, planters, and a great garden stand I found at Wal-mart. So far things are growing really well. I have 2 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants (they are struggling the most), radishes, green and regular onions, romaine, beans, and peas. Caleb also really wanted to grow giant sunflowers so I am planting a patch of them right under our kitchen window. I was also told about growing corn in 5 gallon bucks and so tomorrow we will be planting sweet corn in buckets. It has been so much fun to do together. Caleb is facinated by the growing seeds and we have our nightly "watering the plants" ritual. Which if you know Caleb then this is the most exciting part of the day. It will be intersting to see how it all works out but so far it was a pretty cheap project and has been well worth it!

Caleb's Flower Pots


I thought they looked really nice on the front porch


Our Garden Stand has 2 upside down tomato plants and then the top is a 5x5 garden patch with 3 pepper plants and I stuck some romaine seeds in there but we will see how they do. The Flower Planter has radishes and onions.


Caleb was so excited to find these radish sprouts today. It was so cute!


I started the beans, peas, and sunflowers in these seed starters. I have never done that before and it is wild. I hope I can actually transplant them ok.

We will keep you posted on how we do with our new experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment