Sunday, November 15, 2009

Live in Thanksgiving Daily


I have been meaning to do this post for a while now but just never got around to it. The past few weeks for our family have been emotionally tough. After we found out about our second failed IVF attempt, we found ourselves with a lack of hope for our future and completely lost about what to do next for our family. During this time I remembered a talk I had studied for a class at BYU about being thankful. Since November is a month to focus on being more grateful, we decided to challenge ourselves to become more grateful. For our first Family Home Evening in November we read the great talk I had studied previously, it is "Live in Thanksgiving Daily" by Elder Wirthlin. He gave this talk at a BYU devotional while I was there and then I had the chance to study it for a class later. It is a beautiful talk about making gratitude a daily part of our lives. That night for FHE we started a Thankful Jar and every night before we go to bed we each write down something we are grateful for. It has been fun to focus more on all the things we are thankful for like Thomas the Train, dishwashers, a wonderful spouse, welcome home hugs from Caleb, and the gospel in our lives. We also have started to say only prayers of Thanksgiving. It is amazing all the things that come to your mind as you say only prayers of gratitude and don't ask the Lord for anything. We challenge everyone to become a little more grateful during this season. What are you most thankful for? What a blessing an attitude of gratitude has been for our family during this time of sorrow.

1 comment: